Light On Christmas

It’s been so gloomy lately. Bad news everywhere. Evil triumphant.

We’re determined, no matter what, to be happy. Walk on the sunny side of the street. Look for the silver lining on the dark cloud. Keep you chin (or as the departed in 2014 Joan Rivers used to mock, chins) up. These are not just platitudes. These words have meaning and great power.

We know it is not a Christmas carol or Christmas related song but this is a song of cheer even if dourly delivered:

Think things are bad? We do. But we also see great and glorious opportunity. Call it a Christmas miracle or a festival of lights Hanukkah glow or maybe it’s even eggnog effects. But this holiday it is time to light a candle not just curse the darkness.

Think you or we can’t survive another two more years of Obama misery? Hell’s bells lady, we already survived almost six of the miserable years and another two will be a romp.

Think the race baiting will never stop and can’t be endured for another moment? Well, there are people like this tough lady who need to be sent some love and admiration not abandoned because we might have a gloomy outlook on political life lately:

She’s said everything we have written. And, she wears PINK! Right on Sista! Right On!

There are plenty of good people who see the problems for what they are and know the solutions come from the right place in the heart and mind.

We know it’s not a Christmas Carol nor a Christmas related song but we want to say a few words about a word without too much explanation. Genesis, the beginning:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

From the Book of John:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.

The Beatles:

Say the word and you’ll be free
Say the word and be like me
Say the word I’m thinking of
Have you heard the word is love?
It’s so fine, it’s sunshine
It’s the word, love

In the beginning I misunderstood
But now I’ve got it, the word is good

Light the lights. Brighten the present. Sing the songs. Brighten the future. It’s going to be alright.

A Happy and Merry Christmas to one and all.

84 thoughts on “Light On Christmas

1. I love all the Christmas music that lightens up the blog.

Merry Christmas to the Clinton’s and I hope this time of year brings Hillary peace and renewal so she will come out guns a blazin’ late in the new year of 2015. Until then sweet Hillary, get all of your ducks in a row.

May all Pinkers gather the love and good times during the holidays to feel refreshed, so we can keep up the shit kickin’ for the next two years.

2. Best wishes to all for a wonderful Christmas with many memory making moments. Hopefully Bill and Hillary are having a lovely time celebrating their granddaughter’s very first Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!

3. The struggle between good and evil is eternal.
    This is the first year in about 30 that I have not put up a Christmas tree.
    It is not for being so sad, but for being so busy it is overwhelming.
    It is evil on the rise that has made it so hard for ordinary people.
    I am still grieving the passing of my Mother almost two years ago and the cat has been sick off and on for over a year. I got so distressed I went to see my doctor for a check up and ran into a medical system designed to keep you sick. Women’s healthcare particularly sucks.
    I am trying to get my oppositional adolescent daughter prepared for college where the educational system has become another way of bleeding the middle class dry.
    My little job that pays the bills is not enough and I am trying to start up a business on the side. Maybe you will see me on the Shark Tank.
    This Christmas I will celebrate the birth of a simple man who brought a better way to live to the world in ways that do not require a tree.

4. To Admin and all the wonderful posters on this blog – Have yourself a Merry Christmas! May the peace and love that Christ brought with his birth be ever present in your homes and at your jobs. “…Rain falls on the just and the unjust alike; Joy comes in the morning..” says the Bible. We are in the twilight of this administration. Alleluia!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Hillary 2016

width=”640″ height=”390″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/ZgrcBCC0xgg” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>

5. http://nypost.com/2014/12/25/plane-passenger-tossed-after-angry-reaction-to-merry-christmas/

Bah, humbug!

A passenger was tossed off a plane at La Guardia Airport on Tuesday after flipping out — because airline workers wished him a merry Christmas.

The man was waiting to board American Airlines Flight 1140 to Dallas when a cheerful gate agent began welcoming everyone with the Yuletide greeting while checking boarding passes.

The grumpy passenger, who appeared to be traveling alone, barked at the woman, “You shouldn’t say that because not everyone celebrates Christmas.”

The agent replied, “Well, what should I say then?”

Don’t say, ‘Merry Christmas!’ ” the man shouted before brushing past her.

Once on the plane, he was warmly greeted by a flight attendant who also wished him a “merry Christmas.” That was the last straw.

Don’t say, ‘Merry Christmas!’ ” the man raged before lecturing the attendants and the pilot about their faux pas.

The crew tried to calm the unidentified man, but he refused to back down and continued hectoring them.

He was escorted off the plane as other fliers burst into cheers and applause.

6. admin
    December 26, 2014 at 10:27 am
    ————————————-

The airline should be commending for protecting freedom of speech.

7. The passenger’s picture and name should be released to the social networks, and The Hunger Games should begin online.

8. ‘THE INTERVIEW’ A HIT WITH PIRATES, 750K ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS IN FIRST 20 HOURS

The Interview is a hit with pirates. The now-infamous Sony Pictures comedy has already been illegally downloaded over 750,000 times in its first 20 hours of release, file-sharing news website TorrentFreak told Breitbart News Thursday morning.

The film began popping up on illegal downloading sites about an hour after its 1 pm Eastern release on YouTube, XBox, Google Play, and other online avenues on Christmas Day. However, only U.S. residents could watch the film through those online outlets, leaving many international users out of luck.

That’s where the pirating comes in. Many commenters on the torrent’s download page indicated that they would have paid to see the film, had they been given the opportunity.

“I want to pay to see it,” wrote one commenter. “But as I’m not in the US, I can’t pay to see it or see it from where I live. It’s not even out in the cinemas where I live and probably will not be. So torrent is the only way I can see it.”

Even the torrent site The Pirate Bay, considered the largest in the world, included a link to the film on the top left corner of its site, despite the site having been down for weeks after a raid by Swedish police crippled its servers.

“It’s definitely a high-profile release, and there are a lot of downloads already,” TorrentFreak told Breitbart News in an email.

Variety film reporter Dave McNary predicted the film could earn as much as $3 million in limited release, a drop in the bucket for the film’s reported $40 million budget but a significant feat for a film opening in about 300 theaters. McNary attributes the strong projected showing to a film “coming into the market with a consumer awareness unmatched in recent history.”

9. hadowfax
    December 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm

‘THE INTERVIEW’ A HIT WITH PIRATES, 750K ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS IN FIRST 20 HOURS
    ———————————————————————————-
    Maybe evil backfired on itself?

The pirates should collect donations and pay Sony, just to spite the evil.

10. Judicial Watch – Because no one is above the law!

Dear Friend,

On Christmas Day, 1776, the American Revolution appeared to be dead.

George Washington’s Continental Army had been driven out of New Jersey.

The British and Hessian troops, who assumed the serious fighting was over, had entered winter quarters.

King George III and the British Parliament appeared set to continue an abusive set of policies that American colonists said deprived them of their rights as Englishmen. The battle cry of “No Taxation without Representation” went unsatisfied.

That all changed after Washington’s crossing of the Delaware River in a midst of a driving blizzard on December 24, 1776. The “Ten Crucial Days” that began with an audacious strike against the unsuspecting Hessian garrison in Trenton, culminating with the Battle of Princeton, reinvigorated the Revolution.

Every year on Christmas Day, thousands of visitors and local residents gather along the Delaware River to witness the reenactment of Washington’s Crossing.

As much as we all rightly celebrate The Spirit of 1776, in too many respects our nation is harmed by the progressive counter-revolution that undermines the republican form of government established by our Founding Fathers. Just before it left for Christmas, Congress authorized over a trillion dollars in spending with little public debate or disclosure. And then there is President Obama and his allies’ demonstrable contempt for the very notion of representative government.

That’s why our mission at Judicial Watch assumes a heightened importance going into 2015. If the ideals of our American Revolution seem likes ghosts now in our “modern” government, it is worth recalling that the situation looked even more dire before the two Battles of Trenton and the Battle of Princeton.

Yes, there were two Battles of Trenton. And they serve as a dual lesson of the audacity and perseverance we will now need in order to continue overcoming the odds we face.

After crossing the Delaware River on Christmas night in 1776, Washington’s Continental Army surprised the Hessians who were staying in what is now the Old Barracks Museum and in other homes throughout Trenton. He re-crossed again four days later to confront the full brunt of the British Army led by General Charles Cornwallis. And the American rag-tag forces’ twin victories in those battles spurred our nation on to victory, and ought to give each of us cause for encouragement in light of contemporary challenges arguably far less serious than those our Revolution faced in Southern New Jersey 238 years ago.

Washington himself saw the hand of Providence at work in his Christmas crossing. An abiding faith can go a long way, even in darkest moments.

There is one Christmas message that should give us indomitable courage for these troubling times. It’s from Isaiah 9:6, and it defines the hope that lies within us all: “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given – and the government shall be upon his shoulders.”

Ultimately, man’s power is limited on this Earth, contrary to what today’s progressives and their antecedents might try to tell you. And we know that, in the words of one of my favorite Christmas carols, “the wrong shall fail, the right prevail.”

Merry Christmas to you and yours from all of us here at Judicial Watch, and a Happy New Year.

Tom Fitton
    President

11. wbboei
    December 26, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Judicial Watch – Because no one is above the law!
    ——————————
    Thanks for that post. I was going to sit down and do make my holiday donations tonight and this is a very great need in this country this year. They are an excellent organization.

BTW, Judicial Watch accepts Paypal.

12. It Is Always darkest before the dawn. ..it’s been pretty dark for 6 long years, but this place continues to shine some badly needed light.

Shine on Admin, shine on…

13. Shine on Admin, shine on…

good one, gontotx
    ————–
    Thanks to some here, I’m on the “Give to Judicial Watch” band wagon, accompanied by notes/tweets to casey, toomey, marino that I’m donating what I used to give to them to causes that benefit ME.

Then I decided that James Okeefe’s Project Veritas was worth some money too.

So disgusted this morning to hear Americans now magically shopping different this 2014 day after Christmas. The meme is ” no longer just a day to return things.”

Never was, either. But lets see how many points galllup goes up for the creep based on that lie.

14. To Lu4PUMA & Tony Stark

Though I certainly don’t condone disruptive behavior, you perhaps need to be reminded that not everyone is Christian and not everyone celebrates Christmas. As a non Christian American I can tell you that it is tiresome and annoying when every store clerk assumes that this is a holiday you celebrate. For some, Christmas also celebrates a religion that in the past has forced conversions, burned people at the stake and fought wars for Christian control. The assumption by many is that this is a Christian country. I would argue that it is a nation based on God that embraced more than tolerated diversity.

That said, Christmas has a beautiful message. I just don’t think it should be forced on everyone. For non Christians it is not only a season of lovely wreaths and poinsettias, but also garish lighted ornaments and crass commercialism. I see people going into debt pressured to buy presents they can’t afford.

However, despite my feeling that Christmas should not be forced on non Christians, We chose to celebrate Christmas Eve with a single Christian friend who was alone that evening and looking to have some Holiday Cheer. I was more than happy to wear my red sweater and share this important holiday with a dear friend. The point is that is was my choice.

I do think its nice when we all recognize each others holidays and send warm greetings. I write this to you now in light of your comments so that you will perhaps begin to understand that Christmas can start to feel a bit oppressive to non Christians when strangers in an airport or grocery store feel compelled to treat it as your holiday too.
    I don’t mean to be a Grinch….just trying to help you undestand the other side. I do hop you all had a wonderful Christmas and have a Happy new Year.

15. Lu4PUMA
    December 26, 2014 at 6:21 pm
    ———–
    Yes, Judicial Watch is a fine organization—they win battles, while the Republican House is full of sound and fury signifying nothing. Tom Fitton’s characterization of the battle is stark as it is accurate. Throughout most of its history, except in times of war, the United States has been a nation based on the ideal of representative democracy, wherein the people are sovereign. Now however, we are in the midst of a counter revolution by these so called progressives, which seeks to reduce the people to servitude and to empower a group of elites who are condescending citizens of the world.

For anyone who doubts this fact–anyone who believes this is simply a swinging of the political pendulum, as opposed to a naked attempt to transmorgify this nation, I URGE you to read Sharyl Attkisson’s book Stonewalled. She is a non partisan and I have become one. And I come away from reading that book with the firm conviction that the Obama Administration–really is, a criminal enterprise. There is no doubt in my mind about it. Just reflect for a moment on the various scandals which they have initiated through criminal behavior, whether that be gunrunning, targeting conservatives, destroying our health care system, rewarding bad behavior on Wall Street and erasing our borders. And when the masterminds of these crimes are hauled before Congress, and swear to tell the truth, the LIE with impunity, and when they are held in contempt the Justice Department refuses to prosecute and the New York Times runs headlines like Holder Exonerated. This pattern and practice of illegal and destructive behavior, in the name of progressive doctrine is reminiscent of Lenin’s dictum: “promises are like pie crusts–made to be broken!”.

What you also see is the broader outlines of a conspiracy between uber capitalists, democratic party (and in some cases Republican operatives, e.g. Senator Corker), academia, non profits and millions of ignoranti to transform this nation into a have and have not nation. And to disenfrancise the American People.

Again, I cannot urge you too strongly to get yourself a copy of Stonewalled by Sharyl Attkisson, who is, perhaps the last honest investigative journalist. It is the truth, with the bark off. And again, I would reiterate my other point: stop seeing these people as politicians with whom we disagree, and start seeing them for what they are–on the same moral plane as the Nazis, only the victim here is the American People. I am as serious about this as a heart attack.

16. totally disgusted
    December 27, 2014 at 9:40 am
    ———————————–
    I believe that people who CHOOSE to take offense to being wished Merry Christmas are entitled to do so. I have always been told I am responsible for my emotions and feelings.

17. 10:47 I do not believe people are entitled impose restrictions my freedom of religion or speech.
    ——————————–
    I’ve grown weary of those being attacked for wishing someone a good wish, and also claim the practice of [semi]free speech. Had I been of another religion, I would have put on a friendly smile and wished them Mele Kalikimaka, or ,,, or whatever. We both would have enhanced our positions.

Back in the day I was raised, most people WERE Catholic or Protestant. Up until a few years ago, you could have asked the now deceased Joe Herzenberg how it was to be a Jew in that town of 4000. He did not seem to mind and we tried hard to remember the names of his holidays. He tried tirelessly within the venue of civics classes to explain goings on in the Middle East.

But mostly diversity training took place in the churches, as the golden rule.
    Except for the occasional congregation satisfied with a preacher bent upon spewing constant or occasional hate.

18. totally disgusted
    December 27, 2014 at 9:40 am
    ———————–
    I am an atheist, but I have no problem with people wishing me a Merry Christmas or Hanukkah or any other religious holiday. Unlike the thin skinned, the insecure and those with bricks on their shoulders, I appreciate the intent behind such greetings, which is to wish another human well. The issue with that passenger is bad manners; the best way to deal with people who behave badly in public is public shaming.

19. Lu4PUMA

December 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

Just know that some people are offended when they feel others are trying to impose their religious beliefs on them.
    This is just being courteous and sensitive and has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

20. Lu4PUMA

Sounds like you want what you want regardless of how the other person might feel. When dealing with strangers, I feel it is much more appropriate to wish them a Happy Holidays where religious holidays are concerned whereas Thanksgiving and New Years are secular holidays.

21. If you read what I posted above, and were taken aback by its characterization of the Obama Administration as criminals, and the concomitant comparison of them to Nazis, then like most people you have not been paying attention. This is like a course in school when you went to class every day, absorbed what you could from the lectures, but the big picture was a blur until you sat down and crammed for the final exam. Then a light came on, and you would see everything in context.

Well, year ends are like that, especially when the cap the sixth year of an eight year transmorgification, the results of which have not been fully felt by the nation, just yet. But the law of probability declares that this too will happen. Like the Navy who is always fighting the last war, conservative pundits assure us that the Liar in Chief is about to become a lame duck. The underlying assumption however is fatally flawed. IF the liar in chief were constrained by the constitutional system, then it would be fair to say that his power to persuade congress and his party would start to wane and he would seek to achieve a legacy for the nation.

But that is hardly the case with this dude. No siree. For him there are no more elections to worry about, and no one in government in a position of power—not McConnell, not Boehner, not Corker, not Flake, not Roberts will stand up to him. Worse, these Quislings will side with him–as evidenced by what that half wit McCain inter alia are saying now. THESE SUPPOSED DEFENDERS OF THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE are nothing more than shills for the donors. They have no stomach for the fight which should be fought to stop this guy. And by the time 2016 rolls around they will discover that they are going the way of the Whig Party. They have nothing to offer the American People other than a descent into hell.

Think I am off base? Okay, fine. But before you put a lid on it, read what Mike Walsh has to say. This is where the real game is, the one most people are ignorant as swans about. Sadly, this is what the future looks like, in my estimation.
    ———-

With Two Years Left, the Inflection Point of the Obama Presidency

By Mike Walsh @ PJ Media

The men behind Obama took a calculated gamble in 2008 that the nation was ready for the first post-American president, a man with no meaningful cultural roots in the nation he would profess to lead. They relied on the intrinsic good-heartedness of the electorate to show their lack of prejudice in voting for a man with an exotic Arabic/Muslim name only seven years after the atrocity of Sept. 11. They counted on the innate good will of the American people, judged that the time was right for a black president, and then went out and found the only half-black candidate who had absolutely nothing to do with the black American experience and ran him as an avatar of black America.

And they won, twice, both times against half-hearted Republican candidates with no skin in the game, married to interchangeable blonde wives — one a half-crazy former prisoner of war/political accommodationist and the other a Mormon whose religious faith was guaranteed to lose him some much-needed votes. If they had tried to throw both elections, they could not have done a better job, both of them refusing to go after Obama head-on, and neither of them apparently realizing the danger he posed to the republic. Neither could fathom a new kind of Democrat candidate, one who observed the surface appearances of a traditional candidacy, but who was brimming with new, extra-Constitutional ideas about how to effect his political program.

Shortly before his first election, the president promised a “fundamental transformation” of the United States of America, and it is instructive to note the tone in which he made that pledge. Listen, please; it only takes a few seconds:

Note the finger-pointing. Check out the saturnine look on his face. America was warned, early on, that beneath the smiling facade of Barack Hussein Obama was a very angry man. The smile and the shoeshine got him elected but since that day he has waged unremitting war on the country as founded, pillorying the nation, putting it in the dock, and making us all atone for its sins. Obama’s is a presidency-as-payback, and the “transformation” is meant to ensure that it is permanently hobbled. The animus positively radiates from him.

“Why?” is a question best left to shrinks and historians. But for those of us dealing with the consequences, what matters most is, “What next?” Freed of the need to fool the public one more time, and having buried what’s left of the Democratic Party in the rubble of two off-year elections, Obama is hell-bent on, according to Politico — Operation Revenge.

We’ll take a look at it after the jump:

Obama’s turnaround in recent weeks – he’s seized the offensive with a series of controversial executive actions and challenges to leaders in his own party on the budget — can be attributed to a fundamental change in his political mindset, according to current and former aides. He’s gone from thinking of himself as a sitting (lame) duck, they tell me, to a president diving headlong into what amounts to a final campaign – this one to preserve his legacy, add policy points to the scoreboard, and – last but definitely not least – to inflict the same kind of punishment on his newly empowered Republican enemies, who delighted in tormenting him when he was on top.

The pivot isn’t necessarily about embracing the Real Barack Obama (that’s always been a pretty elusive persona) or even about aspiring to the Clintonian ideal of a second-term president leveraging executive power into political muscle. It’s not a matter of superficially emulating a campaign, as he’s done fecklessly in the past, by hitting the road for another round of low-impact speeches or Steve Kroft sit-downs. It’s a campaign between Obama’s ears — a competitor rediscovering his love of competition, the refocusing of a sedentary, atrophied presidency through the lens of a dynamic campaign – and winning.

To call this delusional is an understatement. This is not about Obama suddenly grabbing ahold of himself and remembering to dance with what brung him: this has been the end game of the entire Obama presidency from the start. The re-election of 2012 was crucial, for without it the entire scheme would have collapsed. They — campaign guru David Axelrod and the others who foisted Obama on the body politic — had to get him to this point in order for the plan of rule-by-fiat to be fully operational. As I wrote in the New York Post back in 2011:

Having lost the House of Representatives in the last election, the Obama administration is now imposing “fundamental change” via executive order, regulatory fiat and political pressure. Talk about the unitary executive…

It all boils down to this: Are we to be a constitutional government with three distinct branches, or a single executive entity that makes policy, carries it out and decides for itself whether it’s constitutional or not? That’s what the next presidential race is really all about.

And indeed it was, except that nobody told Willard “Mitt” Romney, a decent man who was perhaps the wrongest possible GOP candidate at the wrongest possible time, ever. (If you don’t understand why, ask Jonathan Gruber.)

Now we are past both the presidential election and the ’14 midterms, and have arrived at the inflection point. Change will come thick and fast now, in a flurry of “presidential memoranda” and occasional executive orders, and no one in Congress or the courts to stop him. Obama has a taste for it now and he realizes that there is not a single person or entity inside or outside of government to frustrate him. At this point, the only way he could be neutralized would be for everyone to simply ignore his extra-Constitutional orders, as if he were the Emperor Norton.

But with the Congress in the hands of the opposition party (really, the GOP wing of the Permanent Bipartisan Fusion Party), Obama will simply ignore them when he’s not using them as a collective whipping boy. Beholden to his hard-left supporters, the president is likely to increase the racial divide, use the (Congressionally ordained) agencies like the EPA and the IRS to further his punishing rule by bureaucracy, and continue to employ the Justice Department as an instrument of his policy preferences. Already we are reading (in Politico, the court stenographers of the Obama administration) that Republicans are “warming” to Loretta Lynch, Obama’s pick to replace Attorney General Eric Holder.

“I want to see what happens in the hearings,” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said. “But certainly I’m supportive.” McCain and Sens. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Deb Fischer (R-Neb.) all said in interviews they have met with Lynch privately and are inclined to vote in favor of her nomination.

Gotta love that “certainly.”

So this is where the curve turns, and it’s down we go, straight down, to realms never before charted in the American experiment. It’s going to be a bumpy ride. And remember this; as I like to say about the Left: they never stop, they never sleep, they never quit.

22. The only thing McCain is passionate about is bombing Iran.

In all other areas, he has no coherent philosophy, is kind of stupid–I mean really, now else to explain what he says, and is indistinguishable on policy positions from Chuck Schumer. Meanwhile these other yo yos—Corker, Flake, Heller, Hueven, Fisher, Collins are the weakest bunch of donor shills ever. In a word, they are Whigs. This will be crystal clear to most people one year from now. There is no protection for the American People under the two party system. Both parties are in pare delicto. One for tearing assunder the Constitution, the other for sitting on their hands, allowing them to do it, and reserving the attack they should be waging against Obama for a vicious attack on their own base, in support of the money interests they represent.

23. totally disgusted
    December 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Lu4PUMA

—————————————-
    So long as my intention are to wish someone well, if they CHOOSE to take offense over religious motivations, it is their problem. It sounds like you want to use your feelings to control other people.

24. I find it funny that on Christmas Eve and Christmas day on the blog, that everyone should be politically correct and keep their holiday greetings off the blog, for those that don’t believe in any God at all. It should just be another day, bla, bla, bla because at some point of history people that used their beliefs in God in evil ways. Yup, humans used it to fight an kill others.

So, from now until the end of time, all Christians that were not alive at that time should just whisper their Merry Christmases and Happy Hanukkah greetings to their ‘own kind’, for the sake of everyone else.

We all must be PC, we all need to hang our heads in shame.

25. Is anyone here against our world calendar, do we also need to tremble in fear about wishing each other a Happy New Year?

26. Lu4PUMA

December 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

You just don’t get and I don’t think you ever will. I don’t push my religious beliefs on others….it is you who are trying to control people by insisting on broadcasting your religious greeting whether it is welcome or not. You are immune to and don’t care if you offend others who find the custom unwelcome. I wish my Christian friends a Merry Christmas and they wish me a Happy Chanukah. What we choose to do amongst our acquaintances is our business and not the issue we are discussing here.

27. New Years and Thanksgiving are basically secular holidays. Christmas is an important religious holiday for Christians. The discussion was about the appropriateness of assuming that the religious greeting is welcomed by every stranger you encounter. People may or may not share your feelings and they should have the right to get on with their lives without intrusion. As it is, Christmas is ubiquitous on every TV program, news cast etc. Though I may deplore the man on the plane’s rude, disruptive behavior, I can empathize with his frustration.
    As far as the attitudes expressed above….I guess peace on earth and good will to others have already run their course.
    La4PUMA, you can have the last word if you want, just know that many non Christians are offended by ubiquitous Christmas greetings. Why not just share the greeting with those who you think will welcome it and be more sensitive to the fact that not everyone does.

28. Shadowfax

December 27, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I was not criticizing those who extend Christmas greetings on this blog. We come to the blog by choice.

29. totally disgusted,

I do get it. I just disagree. Other people who try to make you responsible for how they choose to feel about something you do that is not illegal, are trying to control you. They are trying to take away your freedom and I choose not to give them that power over me.

30. Top of current post: It’s been so gloomy lately. Bad news everywhere. Evil triumphant.

Admin is usually two steps ahead of us, and judging by the looks of this place, his/her record is safe. There have been so many times I forged ahead with a topic here, only to find “it” already in a Big Pink post.

Sometimes it seems wrong to need others’ opinions to produce my own ideas. Yet I do just that. So many mornings I get up wondering about the latest travesty … read here … then can reason out what I think.

Thanks so much for this journey, admin. Expect it is terribly frustating from your vantage. Yet I’m looking forward to more in 2015. Happy New Year to all.

31. gonzotx

December 27, 2014 at 6:46 pm
    The only thing bothering me is the attitude of people like Lu4PUMA on this subject. The attitude shows a lack of respect for people who have different beliefs. She can’t stand the thought of wishing strangers a Happy Holidays which everyone appreciates, but rather will persist in pushing her religious greeting whether welcome or not.

32. I’m coming very late to this holiday party, but wanted to extend belated holiday greetings to all Pinkers. . To those who identify with the Christian religion, Merry Christmas. To jbstone and others of Jewish faith, Happy Hanukkah. To those of various non-Christian, non-Jewish religions let me just say Namaste, y’all. To those who just can’t tolerate the idea religion of any kind, hope you had a decent Generic Wintertime Holiday Experience.

Admin, thanks for shining a light in the midst of this dim and dismal time.

33. THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION IS A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE.

YES, A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE.

PERIOD!

WANT PROOF?

LOOK AROUND YOU.

AND THEN, READ THIS . . . .

AND THEN BE GLAD THERE IS ONE JOURNALIST LEFT ON THE SCENE

WHO IS NOT A LIGHT WEIGHT SHILL LIKE –OH, LETS SEE NOW . . . ROUGHLY 99.73456 PER CENT OF THEM.

BUT, AS THE AUTHOR RIGHTLY CONCLUDES: “A NATIONAL TREASURE”.

————–
    Sharyl Attkisson: Docs indicate ATF was using Fast and Furious to justify new gun regs

By Thomas Lifson

Just as Second Amendment civil rights activists feared, federal government bureaucrats were supplying illegal firearms to Mexican drug cartels in the expectation that it would led to pressure for more regulation. Analyzing a 60 page document release in response to a FOIA action by Judicial Watch Attkisson writes:

Justification for New Gun Control Regulations

•ATF’s internal Public Affairs Talking Points show the agency was using Fast and Furious to help justify new gun control regulations–without telling the public that ATF was actually facilitating the delivery of weapons to Mexican drug cartels.
    •The talking points (p. 15) state:

“These cases demonstrate the ongoing trafficking of firearms by Mexican DTO’s and other associated groups operating in Arizona and the need for reporting of multiple sales for certain types of rifles in order to ferret out those intent on providing firearms to these criminal groups.”

There is much more in her report, so read the whole thing. But keep in mind:

Clues as to why President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder kept the public documents secret for so long may be found in one 60-page release examined below. Nearly three years after-the-fact, its news value is diminished. If these documents had been turned over when Congress subpoenaed them or when they were first requested under FOI law, they would have revealed damaging information in the lead-up to President Obama’s re-election in 2012. By exerting executive privilege, the President and Holder kept them hidden until the court challenge forced their release.

Ms. Attkisson is a national treasure.

Justification for New Gun Control Regulations
    •The talking points (p. 15) state:

There is much more in her report, so read the whole thing. But keep in mind:

Sharyl Attkisson is a national treasure.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/12/sharyl_attkisson_docs_indicate_atf_was_using_fast_and_furious_to_justify_new_gun_regs.html#ixzz3NDAn2hhO
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

34. totally disgusted
    December 28, 2014 at 10:33 am
    ————————————-
    Your attitude shows a lack of respect for people of different beliefs. In particular, it stinks of anti-Christian sentiments that are contributing to genocide in the middle east. Maybe some day you will learn to take responsibility for your own feeling instead of trying to make others responsible for them. Until then you are free to churn your guts and go crazy like the guy they threw off the plane. I will still with a Merry Christmas to whom I so please.

35. freespirit
    December 28, 2014 at 10:46 am
    ____________________________________________________

Thanks for the Coca-Cola up my nose from laughing so hard, freespirit.

Here’s how we resolve the whole thing so no one EVER has to be offended during the winter holidays again. From now on only one of the two greetings may be offered:

Happy Whatever

or

Merry Whatever.

By offering one of these two greetings, EVERYONE can now be equally offended.

36. They met in Philadelphia to forge a new government. And when the emerged, a man asked Benjamin Franklin what kind of government do we have. He replied: a republic sir, IF you can keep it. Today, we have something very different, i.e.

A government which, at the behest of the Attorney General and President:

a. forces gun dealers in border states to dump an arsenal of automatic weapons into Mexico

b. to create a level violence mayhem and murder in that country

c. which spills back over the border and into the United States

d. and does so for the specific purpose of

e. creating political support for new restrictions on gun ownership

f. favored by the president and attorney general

g. as part of a larger effort to disenfranchise the American People

h. and when these facts come to light

i. the president gets big media to censor it

j. and raises the defense of executive privilege

Is, by definition, a rogue government.

But more than that, it is a CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE.

It cannot be otherwise.

37. Free

…To those of various non-Christian, non-Jewish religions let me just say Namaste, y’all. To those who just can’t tolerate the idea religion of any kind, hope you had a decent Generic Wintertime Holiday Experience.

Voting

From now on only one of the two greetings may be offered:

Happy Whatever or Merry Whatever.

By offering one of these two greetings, EVERYONE can now be equally offended.

—-
    That pretty much covers it ladies.

For years now in the politically correct state of CA, people have been using Happy Holidays only, except to close friends. Almost universally in N. Calif

I must admit, it irks the shit out of me because it is so meaningless. This year, at a couple of stores and also out to dinner, 4 different employees wished me a Merry Christmas. It was heartwarming to be able to say it back to them.

I don’t agree that everyone in the US needs to change they greetings just to please the atheists. If someone has a middle eastern accent, I don’t know what to say, so I let them lead.

38. Lu4PUMA

Your comments on this blog make my point for me. I started by politely explaining how many non Christians view thre custom and you respond with name calling. Merry Christmas to you!

39. A person who goes on a blog titled, “Light on Chrismas” and attacks someone for wishing people Merry Christmas is looking to push their beliefs on others. It is called provoking, not being polite.

40. Only in America – Christmas becomes more than just a Christian Holiday

“Muy bonita!”

Keith Mosa-Basha smiled at the little girl, who couldn’t have been more than three or four, telling her she was very beautiful. She beamed back at him, eyes wide, staring at the presents he and his friends had just delivered to her door on Christmas morning.

Mosa-Basha and four other Muslim Metro Detroiters were among those who woke up early Thursday, volunteering to play Santa for needy children in Southwest Detroit and some of the city’s other hardest-hit neighborhoods. It’s part of an annual effort across the region to bring together Muslims, Jews and Christians to do “mitzvahs” or good deeds on one of the Christian faith’s most important days.

41. December 28, 2014, 10:01 am
    CNN bumps politics to cover missing plane

CNN bumped its normal political coverage on Sunday morning to cover the missing AirAsia flight.
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) were both scheduled to appear on the channel’s flagship Sunday political talk show, “State of the Union,” but their interviews did not air to make room for coverage of the plane.
    A CNN spokeswoman said that both interviews will be posted online.
    Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) was also scheduled to appear, according to a lineup released before the show aired. It was not clear whether his interview would be posted online as well.
    Other networks included the missing plane in their Sunday lineups, but didn’t change their scheduled political programming. Both NBC’s Meet the Press and CBS’s Face the Nation led with the plane story, but then had guests on to speak about conflicts between the NYPD and New York’s mayor. CBS also featured Ron Klain, who has led the White House’s efforts to respond to the Ebola virus….

42. I am sure to some, I sound bitter.

The reason is I have a pretty clear understanding now–

And I detest what I am seeing

Namely, this manufactured, false and misleading explanation for the mid term results:

Voters wanted democrats and republicans to be bi-partisan.

In other words, they want Quislings like Corker (R-Tn–a big government donor shill) to reach across the aisle to Quislings like Schumer and find ways that both of them can reward their donors, fuck the American People and all will be well.

And, for me, this is the path to serfdom, a 25 trillion dollar deficit, and a have vs. have not society. In sum, it is unacceptable. I what is unacceptable, I cannot accept, notwithstanding big media efforts to sprinkle holy water on it.

In other words, the voter message in the mid term election, which was to stop Obama on amnesty and stop Obama on Obamacare, has been recast by the fucking RINO to read work with Obama—which is the opposite of what voters said.

Why this bait and switch by Republicans–you ask.

Simple: it aint about us. It aint about the welfare of the American People. And it aint about the welfare of the country.

What is it then?

Simple: it is about three things that matter most to the permanent political class:

First, it is to rebut the POLITICAL charge by democrats that the Republican Party is obstructionist—by proving that when they are in charge, they can govern. (Note: to what end they would govern is a question to be avoided–because the American People would not like the answer.)

Second, it is about showing the press and the DC establishment that they will support their wealth and their power and their elite position in society, which is the very thing that scares the billie be jiggereds out of them about the Tea Party.

Third, it is about rewarding their donors through endless wars and endless illegal immigration, while cutting the benefits of the middle class. (Note:their hatchet man is Paul Ryan. He may not be able to handle Biden in a debate, but he is perfectly capable of pissing on our leg and telling us it is raining.)

So there you have it.

The truth.

With the bark off.

This insight marks my own withdrawal from any real interest in politics moving forward.

Until such time as conservatives regain a voice in the political system.

And that will probably happen, and when it does, people like Corker will have no clue on how to fix it.

Like Obama, they will revel in the obscene wealth they have acquired by selling out the American People.

Lets hope the elation they now feel is short lived.

Quislings may succeed in the moment, but sooner or later, history catches up with them.

43. ADMIN: This is from Moe Lane at Red State channeling what you alone were saying in 2008.

Congratulations for being right all along.

Condolences that no one was listening when it mattered to the nation.

Looking ahead, I find nothing to be optimistic about.

Of course there are those unsinkable molly browns out there

Who assure us that everything will turn out just fine

Don’t believe it.

***************************

The currently greatest open secret of our political system right now is that everyone more or less concedes that Barack Obama’s political coalition was designed specifically to get Barack Obama elected, and pretty much nobody else. Outside of the Presidency (admittedly a big exception), the Democratic party’s hold on the levers of government is at an ebb not seen in most of our lifetimes. And the Democrats didn’t get much in exchange for all that legacy power. A good deal of temporary pork. Some nice press clippings. Their names permanently associated with the most hated government policy since Prohibition.

But here’s the thing: they were promised that Barack Obama would be there to save them from all of that. And that’s a literal statement. From 2010:

[Former Rep. Marion] Berry recounted meetings with White House officials, reminiscent of some during the Clinton days, where he and others urged them not to force Blue Dogs “off into that swamp” of supporting bills that would be unpopular with voters back home.

“I’ve been doing that with this White House, and they just don’t seem to give it any credibility at all,” Berry said. “They just kept telling us how good it was going to be. The president himself, when that was brought up in one group, said, ‘Well, the big difference here and in ’94 was you’ve got me.’ We’re going to see how much difference that makes now.”

Instead 2010 was a bloodbath for Democrats, and 2012 was effectively a bloody draw in Congress, and 2014 was an even larger bloodbath. This can all be easily and justly blamed on the President: it’s his job to know the limits to his power. That Barack Obama is incapable of seeing any is a personal failing that should cause at least another three political disasters between now and 2016… but that’s not my problem.

Moe Lane (crosspost)

(Image via here.)

PS: Let me just note, for anybody anticipating, with various flavors of dread, schadenfreude, and/or repressed masochism, the newly-unleashed power of the Presidency next year: this is Barack Obama, people. The only thing that he’s competent at is getting past 270 votes in the Electoral College. What, he’s going to turn into a Machiavellian schemer now?

44. The Darkling Thrush
    BY THOMAS HARDY
    I leant upon a coppice gate
    When Frost was spectre-grey,
    And Winter’s dregs made desolate
    The weakening eye of day.
    The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
    Like strings of broken lyres,
    And all mankind that haunted nigh
    Had sought their household fires.

The land’s sharp features seemed to be
    The Century’s corpse outleant,
    His crypt the cloudy canopy,
    The wind his death-lament.
    The ancient pulse of germ and birth
    Was shrunken hard and dry,
    And every spirit upon earth
    Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
    The bleak twigs overhead
    In a full-hearted evensong
    Of joy illimited;
    An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
    In blast-beruffled plume,
    Had chosen thus to fling his soul
    Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
    Of such ecstatic sound
    Was written on terrestrial things
    Afar or nigh around,
    That I could think there trembled through
    His happy good-night air
    Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
    And I was unaware.

45. I don’t doubt that there are occasional hate crimes against various ethnic and religious groups. After all, the United States is still a great experiment that seeks to unite the world’s tribes into a coherent whole. And never has that gambit been more problematic in the age of hyphenation and the salad bowl in lieu of the melting pot.

But right now, discussion of crime is too often constructed as an ideological tool to serve larger political agendas. We see that cycle with the unproven feminist assertion that 20% of coeds will be raped on campus during their undergraduate tenures — when the government’s own statistics show that women on and off the campus have less than a 1% chance of being sexually assaulted in any given year. If the former myth is true, then the engine of feminist studies, counselors, and therapeutic curricula is fueled; if the latter fact is canonized, then society can in part be thankful that such violent sexual assault has declined from far higher percentages during past decades.

Surely most neither believe nor act as if the Stanford campus is a more dangerous place than is East Palo Alto, or the Columbia dorms more perilous than a nearby Harlem public housing project. The Duke lacrosse case, the Rolling Stone fiasco, the mythographies of Lena Dunham all teach us that it is far more dangerous to be falsely accused as a sexual predator than to falsely accuse the innocent as a sexual predator. People are human and therefore make the necessary adjustments.

In the age of Ferguson, the tragedy of Eric Garner, and a host of other politicized crime incidents, is there any resolution in sight? None that I can see given the nature of the fuel that feeds such fires. Had the police chief of Fresno been publicly shamed for such false allegations, he might not be so eager to rush to judgment next time. Had the bus stop thug been charged with a hate crime — and I do not count out that the victim’s race, age, and feeble health encouraged the attack — perhaps a larger message might be sent about such altercations.

My pessimism is not ideological but empirical. The stuff of the recent protests are weary police of the inner city confronting hundreds of thousands of times a week a small subset of the population (perhaps African-American males between ages 15 and 50 constitute no more than 2-3% of the population) who account for nearly 50% of violent crime. For such a formula for disaster to dissipate, either one of two things would have to occur. One, the police will silently avoid such confrontations, to the degree that they can mask their noncompliance without career repercussions. That is, when a call comes in that an African-American young man is walking down the middle of the street and is a suspect in a recent strong-arm robbery, they will simply avoid him, or when complaints are voiced that a large African-American vendor is illegally selling cigarettes, with a history of 30 prior arrests, they will not answer the call. Unfortunately I think such the repercussions of that adjustment will be higher crime rates, especially in the inner city.

Two, the nation would have to have the Eric Holder-coveted national dialogue of race, rather than a name-calling sessions about “cowards.” The purpose would be to address the foundations of young black criminality — the break-up of the family, the pernicious role of federal subsidies, a value system that deprecates academic learning and idolizes sports and acts of supposed masculinity, the misogyny and racism of popular rap and other cultural expression, the neglect of the inner city by the rest of America, the legacy of racism on the individual psyche, and on and on. Yet to have such a discussion, not to mention their remedies, would put the Al Sharptons and others out of business. Moreover, the entire Obama electoral strategy was to galvanize the black community to register, turn out at the polls, and vote in monolithic fashion for Obama, as the emblematic black candidate. Because there was no margin of error in such calculus (given that racial chauvinism turns off one voter for every voter it attracts), if the cases of Skip Gates, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown and the Eric Garner were not politicized, others would have to be invented to create the needed outrage and solidarity that translates into political clout.

There are tragic self-corrections in politics. For the next few years, police will weigh the dangers of intervening in incidents in which African-American youths confront authorities, and too often abdicate — until crime rates inch back up, cities like New York revert to their 1970s status or present-day Chicago, the public demands recalibration, and we go back to proactive policing. Similarly, bloc ethnic voting will create backlashes or counter-movements in kind (will there be a day when conservative black Congress people outnumber those in the Black Caucus?) and we will see ethnic candidates run as individuals, in fear that appeals to the color of our skins rather than our character spell suicide.

46. New York City mayor Bill de Blasio heckled and booed at police graduation ceremony

De Blasio, addressing nearly 900 graduating cadets, said, “You will confront all manner of problems. Problems that you didn’t create.”
    A heckler cried out: “You created them!” Some in the audience applauded the outburst.
    De Blasio, briefly flustered, continued with his speech.
    A dozen or so people turned their backs on the mayor as he spoke, repeating a gesture by thousands of officers at Saturday’s funeral for policeman Rafael Ramos.
    Before he had even finished speaking, the mayor’s press office circulated a long, evidently prepared email to journalists.
    “Want to remind folks that today was not the first time a NYC Mayor has been booed at a police graduation,” Marti Adams, a spokeswoman for the mayor, wrote before pointing reporters to old news reports about de Blasio’s three predecessors getting similar treatment….

47. Soldiers Relocate Wedding to Accommodate Obama’s Golf Game
    Dec 29, 2014 6:56 AM PST
    Natalie Heimel and her fiancé, Edward Mallue Jr., a pair of captains in the Army, were walking from their wedding rehearsal on Saturday at the 16th tee box at Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course in Hawaii when they were informed they’d have to move their wedding, scheduled for the next day.

President Barack Obama wanted to play through.

It was the second time that day that the couple heard from the nation’s commander in chief, whose affinity for golf has, at times, caused political headaches for the White House. Stationed in Hawaii and knowing the president spends his Christmas holiday on the islands, they invited him to their ceremony on a lark. They had received a letter earlier on Saturday saying Obama regretted he couldn’t come and wishing them happiness on their wedding day.

“He apologized and congratulated them.”

Jamie McCarthy
    “It was kind of ironic they got the letter from them and then, within hours, they were told they had to be moved due to him,” Jamie McCarthy, Mallue’s sister, said in an interview. “It was emotional, especially for her—she’s the bride and in less than 24 hours they had to change everything they had planned.”…

48. wbboei
    December 29, 2014 at 8:41 am
    I am sure to some, I sound bitter.
    —–

Yup, you sound as bitter as many of us here that gave up hope that the GOP boyz were going to do anything to stop Obola and help the middle class.

6 years has seen them do absolutely nothing but fill up hot air balloons and pass worthless bills that had no chance of passing the Senate. Words, words, words with no action = hot air.

There is no difference in these two political parties right now, full of corrupt floaters that just pad their own retirement and work together to do so.

Remember their 15 minutes of fame heroes?

The Three Amigos…(snoozefest)
    The Young Guns…(the GOP version of a boy band)
    The new Tea people…(what happened to all these folks?)
    The x, y, and z.

More hot air behind the house of mirrors.

Now what, JEB!

Jeb is the best they can come up with?

49. Shadowfax,

JEB is the best they can come up with. And to add insult to injury, there are alot of Hillary hater sites popping up. It is frustrating that there is so little we can do. I miss the PUMApac prowls. Maybe there will come a time again where we can raise our voices to try to effect some positive outcomes, but the powers that be are not going to let us have that choice right now. If the Republicans do not stand for the middle class and working class we need to vote them out and that is the message all Americans should send them.

They had that song “You vote Obamacare, we’ll vote you out of there”. Well we could get some good parodies going.

50. Rat boy confesses?

During a roundtable discussion on Sunday’s Meet the Press, NBC’s Chuck Todd exposed the reason why he doesn’t hit back when interviewing political guests on his show: he’s protecting his job.
    Ironically, it’s his job to ask the hard-hitting questions, but as he explained, if he offended guests, no one would come on the show, and thus there would be no job.
    The roundtable included three comedians, including Lewis Black, who admired Todd’s ability to refrain from “barking” at guests during his show. Black said he would find such a feat impossible:
    Black: I’ve watched you and everybody else, where somebody comes on — and I don’t know how you do it, because I’d be barking at them. Because they’ll sit there and go ‘blah, blah, blah’ and you sit there…
    Todd: You know, we all sit there because we all know the first time we bark, it’s the last time we do the show. There’s something sometimes where it’s the last time you’re ever — all of a sudden, nobody will come on your show. Right? There is that balance sometimes.
    Todd lamented the fact that comedy gets to do things journalists can’t — a sentiment shared by another one of Todd’s guests, comedian W. Kamau Bell.
    Bell found it “weird” that left-leaning media is afraid to bark when Fox News does it all the time. Apparently, Bell has never watched MSNBC. Here is his statement:
    Yeah, comedy gets to bark. But the weird thing is that Fox News also gets to bark. And I think sometimes the left-leaning media is afraid of barking. And so the comics — you see this on a lot of left-wing media — they will play a clip of ‘The Daily Show’ or they’ll play a clip of John Oliver and go, ‘Look at this guy barking! Anyway, back to a reasonable discussion. Even though I know that’s what I want you to believe, let me have the reasonable discussion.’ [laughs]
    Perhaps Todd is correct that real journalism is detrimental to your job. Just ask Sharyl Attkisson.

Comments are closed.