It’s a dangerous day for Barack Obama. As we wrote yesterday, Obama’s many lies and gay bashing adventures over the years, threatened to catch up with him as must win North Carolina went to the polls. Electorally Obama found himself in a smoking frying pan. Today’s down low switch hitting ploy on gay marriage will have grave electoral consequences. But the great danger for Obama is that other groups will now learn from certain gay people and certain gay groups.
Enter Jonathan Lewis. In June of 2009 we advised women, Jews, and gays to “wake up”. We noted that the organizations supposedly established to fight for these groups were more interested in defending Barack Obama than in their mission statements. We recently noted this pro Obama hypocrisy was also evident in the actions of environmental groups and labor unions – they’re more interested in protecting/helping Barack Obama than in their own constituents. Jonathan Lewis and a few gay leaders were the only ones that fought for the gay community and today their strategy threatens a meltdown of the Obama campaign. If other constituent groups learn from Jonathan and demand Obama act on their issues Obama will be caught between today’s Obama and the other Obamas from yesteryear and Obama “present” votes of convenience.
Who is Jonathan Lewis and why is he so important? Well for one thing Jonathan is the son of Peter Lewis and Peter Lewis is a very wealthy man. Peter Lewis (of “Flo” and Progressive Insurance) along with George Soros has been one of the rivers of money for the democratic left. This campaign season Peter Lewis has not been contributing money to help the Obama cause. Lewis’s money distributor Michael Vachon, has been dripping disdain on Obama’s pleas for Superpac money. Peter’s gay activist son Jonathan has been a thorn on Barack Obama’s side:
A key activist called Obama a “coward” and plans to execute a “We Can’t Wait” campaign to draw attention to the issue.
Jonathan Lewis, the son of billionaire Peter Lewis, told The Washington Post that he plans to spend $100,000 to fund the “We Can’t Wait” campaign.
“This isn’t a broken promise President Obama can blame on Congress,” Lewis said. “He has not been able to provide a single valid reason for why he is now refusing to sign the executive order protecting LGBT workers. It has become increasingly clear that this decision is based on cowardice rather than principled leadership.”
Jonathan Lewis has been even more scornful of Obama on gay marriage. Why does a gay billionaire’s son hold so much influence? Obama needs money desperately. The big donor community is close knit and everyone knows Peter and Michael and by extension Jonathan. Between black votes and gay money Barack Obama went with the green.
After last night the Obama campaign figured the cops were banging on the door. In North Carolina Obama had distributed a press release against the anti gay marriage Amendment One but otherwise kept quiet. After the vote Obama noted the huge margins for Amendment One as well as the numbers for him. In a state Obama won in 2008 by 0.3% Obama last night lost 20% of his own party!
Before last night’s vote it was almost impossible for Obama to win “must win” North Carolina. After last night even the Obama campaign understands that “must win” North Carolina has gone south for Obama.
It’s called Karma. In 1996 when it was politically advantageous for Obama to get white liberal votes and gay money – Obama was for gay marriage. “Obama may be the only person in America who supported gay marriage in 1996 but opposed it in 2011.”
Republicans/conservatives believe that Obama has been a secret gay marriage supporter all along. They are wrong. To this day Barack Obama has never participated in a gay pride march and in 2008 when gay bashing was needed to win South Carolina – gay bashing it was. But Republican/conservative HotAir does get some things right in “Noted gay-marriage supporter finally drops cynical charade“:
“Note the fine print, though:
The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.
I don’t believe that for a moment either but that’s going to be his new compromise. Instead of “I support gay rights but oppose gay marriage” it’s now “I support gay marriage but oppose federal intervention.” Even so, if/when the Supreme Court finds a right to same-sex marriage in the Equal Protection Clause, rest assured that the statement from the White House that day will be nothing but celebratory. This position too is a charade.
As to Romney?
Stay focused Mittens! Romney can stay on his economic message while anti gay marriage is stoked by outside groups in state after state. Chris Cillizza of the Washington Post lists the pitfalls and pluses for Obama:
“Let’s start with the pluses.
1. Public opinion: [snip]
2. Excite the activist base: The LGBT community is not only a major part of the Democratic base but they also comprise some of the most politicalyl active people in the party. [snip]
3. Excite the donor base: One in six Obama’s 2012 campaign bundlers are gay, according to research conducted by the Post’s Dan Eggen and T.W. Farnam. Couple that fact with the news earlier this week that George Soros, one of the most prominent Democratic major donors in the country, was directing his contributions to grassroots groups rather than the super PAC expected to fund TV ads supporting Obama and it’s clear that the president badly needs a heavy investment from Hollywood and Silicon Valley. And those two communities are heavily in favor of gay marriage. (Don’t forget: Obama is headed to Hollywood tonight for a fundraiser at the house of actor George Clooney.)
4. Rally young people: [snip]
5. A principled stand: [snip]
Short version: its gay money and white liberals. If Jonathan Lewis contributes to the Obama superpac Barack will be happy and think it was all worth while. But it’s not all show me the money:
“And now, the minuses.
1. Not a slam dunk: [snip]
2. The black community: If the LGBT vote is a pillar of Obama’s base, the African American vote is an even bigger pillar. (In a recent Post poll in Virginia, Obama was beating former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney 97 percent to one percent among black voters.) And, African Americans have consistently been one of the groups most resistant to gay marriage. In that year’s worth of Post-ABC polling, just 42 percent said they support legalization while 55 percent oppose it. Yes, it’s unlikely that black voters leave Obama in droves over the issue. But it’s easier to see this decision taking some of the passion for him out of this community.
3. Virginia/North Carolina: President Obama won both states in 2008 and his campaign is targeting both again in 2012. (The Democratic National Convention this summer will be held in Charlotte.) While both states have changed demographically and politically over the past decade (or so), large portions of both states remain culturally quite conservative and might balk at Obama’s support for same-sex marriage. (Amendment One, which makes the only legal union in the state as between a man and a woman, passed with 60 percent of the vote on Tuesday in North Carolina.)
4. Flip flopping: [snip]”
What else caused Obama to finally back gay marriage today? The laughter. It was the laughter we will remember, whenever we remember:
“It is as it was.” Change you can believe in.
“Gay money has replaced Wall Street Money.” Occupy Gay Street.
Obama mouthed some words today and took no action after years of gay bashing. The Obama fellator squad will say those words are faboo from dreamy Barack and gay people should vote for the Abraham Lincoln of gay people. Gay fools Sudbay and Aravosis are on their knees already drinking in the words. Non-gay Chris Matthews’ initial reaction to Obama’s gay marriage conversion as breathless as you’d expect.
But as much gay money as flows into Obama’s pockets Barack still has to be worried. Imagine what will happen if the environmentalists stop making excuses for Obama and demand he do something on their issues. Imagine what will happen if the labor unions stop making excuses for Obama and demand he do something on their issues (such as the Keystone Pipeline which environmentalists oppose). Imagine what will happen if on issue after issue, demographic after demographic, interest group after interest group the protection of Obama ceases and instead action before the election is demanded. Imagine if the jobless demand jobs!
Today’s danger for Obama is that a few gay donors threatened Obama and Obama fell to his knees. If others start doing the same the campaign of bamboozle and lies will have to begin to produce change you can believe in. Suppose all groups demand Obama do what he says? Disaster!
Of course, Barack can always blame Michelle and have her join staff and others under the bus.